From "Musayev, Ilya" <imusa...@webmd.net>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] Support lifetime
Date Thu, 28 Feb 2013 17:58:45 GMT
What is the current support lifetime on release X?

Within a year, if we go by 4 month release cycle, we will have about 2-3 releases annually.

Proposition, if no official support cycle is set for a release,  what do people think of having
a 6  months support cycle for every release? Granted the new release should be upgradable,
is this too much? too little? Or unreasonable to maintain?

Also, if there is a specific release which is a high success, which I assume 4.2 will be,
can we have a vote for a possibility of extending the 6 months support lifecycle, or would
it be a hard set number?

-----Original Message-----
From: David Nalley [mailto:david@gnsa.us]
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 12:48 PM
To: cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: [DISCUSS] Support lifetime

Hi folks,
With 4.0.2 being actively worked on in parallel with 4.1 - we need to have some discussions
around setting expectations for support lifecycle of a given release.
Our feature releases are relatively rapid (~every 4 months). At the same time, people deploying
CloudStack like stability. Our bugfix releases provide 'stability' with a minimal level of
change, but there is also a lot of overhead for managing a release, getting bugfixes done,
etc. And while we only have a single bugfix running currently - by the time we get to 4.2.1,
it's entirely possible that we'd have 3 bugfix releases running simultaneously.

So - discuss and lets come to a decision.

--David