From "Musayev, Ilya" <imusa...@webmd.net>
Subject RE: ACS - Better Marketing - YOUR HELP IS NEEDED
Date Mon, 11 Feb 2013 23:02:03 GMT
Sebastien,

Agreed with all your comments, joining the cloudstack-marketing list now.

BTW, I could mention that we are cloudstack user - and I did updated the page of "Who is using
CloudStack", I just cant put the company logo - due to legal reasons.

In my world, anything that has to go through legal is like throwing a request into a deep
hole - and pray that at somepoint the request comes back and when it does.

Regards
ilya

-----Original Message-----
From: Sebastien Goasguen [mailto:runseb@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, February 08, 2013 3:13 PM
To: Musayev, Ilya
Cc: cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org; cloudstack-users@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: ACS - Better Marketing - YOUR HELP IS NEEDED

On Feb 7, 2013, at 11:47 PM, "Musayev, Ilya" <imusayev@webmd.net> wrote:

> To be completely honest, CloudStack is an awesome product, with one major flow - it's
a "best kept secret" not too many know about. The last thing we want to see is for CS to become
like BSD (awesome and stable) but barely used.

> I'm not  Citrix employee, I will speak freely - so pardon my honesty.
>
> We lose the market to a peer pressure phenomenon known as OpenStack, I'm not saying OS
is bad by any means, but realistically, many companies go for OS - because thats what everyone
talks about, they don't use the approach of what is right for my environment, instead they
go for the buzzword. Not many can actually get OS to work - in true open source way - and
end up paying for various companies to make it work for them and maintain as well. We need
to get the word out there for CS - we can do better.

> For the most part, (my strong opinion based on where I worked in past) I can say that
in most use cases for small, mid and large size companies, CS is a better fit.

> Bad marketing, works against everyone's interest. Anything from future job opportunity
- to actually working with a product that is simply great, stable and feature rich.

> Here is how I propose we fix this:
>
> For each of the bullet points below - we assign leads that work with contributors.
>

> 1)      Create an ACS social media marketing team - We NEED social media attention
>
> a.       Gather list of ideas
>
> b.      Meet regularly on IRC to follow up on progress and discuss what can be done better
>
> c.       Pick the best voted ideas
>
> d.      Assign the duties and roles
>
> e.      Conquer - one at a time
>
> f.        Create Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter and YouTube Channels or use existing means
and other social media

This is great, I just want to point out that we have talked about a few of these items already:

They already exist (from prior Apache move) and we talked about it:
http://markmail.org/thread/p3awdls6khvvtyzk

All videos from CCC have been posted at:
http://www.youtube.com/diycloudcomputing

> g.       Blog with SEO in mind
>

> 2)      Show the world how you can get ACS to work in your environment on youtube and
other video sites

> a.       Create a set of step by step tutorial (video preferred)
>
>                                                               i.      Basic ACS POC setup
>
>                                                             ii.      Setting up ACS
in corporate environment with strict compliance

>                                                            iii.      Hosting environment
>
>                                                           iv.      Development Environment
- educate new developers on how to troubleshoot issues and how to address them - actual basic
examples would be really good on how bug X was fixed

I have asked for screencast/demo at:
http://markmail.org/thread/j4dv4wt2xkhqv73v

> b.      Take it a step further and show how you can bolt on CS with other offerings -
again video preferred but text will do

>                                                               i.      Show how to bolt
on OpenSwift for block storage, OpenShift (linux PaaS) and IronFoundry (windows PaaS),  Chef
and SpaceWalk and others

> 3)      Create support groups based on area of expertise, for example I can help with
VmWare and CS setups, but I'm not good with XEN or KVM at the moment

> a.       We need support groups for different hypervisors, storage and networks that
can help newcomers

> b.      Each issue resolved must be documented preferable on wiki  - any  documentation
(including copy and paste from mailing list) is better than none

> 4)      Host local user group meet ups

Personnally, I attend and speak at JUG in France/Geneva region. I was just at the Grenoble
JUG last week and I am heading to Edinburgh JUG in March 27.

> a.       Show CS and help others

This is what we try to do with buildacloud.org (former cloudstack.org):
http://buildacloud.org/blog/202-bacd-ghent-summary-and-slides.html

My question to all the CloudStack users reading this is how can we get all of you to speak
out about your deployments.
Write a blog describing your use case, how you use CloudStack and why you love it ?

Not to pick on you Ilya, but If I google for "cloudstack webmd" it only returns links to the
mailing list. So what prevents you from writing about how you use CloudStack ? What can we
do as a community to get you to write about CloudStack ?

> 5)      Reach out to other open source (and not) players and work with them to have easy
integration and cross functionality

> a.       RedHat with OpenShift PaaS

As an example, see my podcast with redhat during FOSDEM where I reach out to delta cloud:
http://cloudevangelist.org

> b.      IronFondry
>
> c.       Cisco, Microsoft, VMWare, etc...
>
> d.      Become part of major distributions

There was also a thread on this:
http://markmail.org/thread/3nm2g7elvoxek7ga

> e.      Others will join as soon as they see the momentum

Momentum is building, at least in France it's picking up nicely:
http://ies.ikoula.com/cloud-prive

> *         Next Steps to make this happen:
>
> o   Gather list of people willing to contribute their time with skills and desired areas
of involvement, even if you are a new comer or don't have enough experience with CS, we can
use your help!

> o   Set the time for regular IRC meeting
>
> o   Help lead this effort as well as participate
>

> Together we can make ACS better for everyone and we can beat the buzzword players - because
we are truly better.

> Your input is welcome, if you want to reach out to me off the list, please feel free,
I'm on irc.freenode.net nick "serverchief", or email me directly.

> Thanks
> ilya

The bottom line to me is very simple:
We need everyone on this list to write a blog about how they use cloudstack or develop on
cloudstack:
http://sebgoa.blogspot.com

Then we need to tweet the hell out of it :)

Easy  :)