From Chiradeep Vittal <Chiradeep.Vit...@citrix.com>
Subject Re: Building SystemVM template appliance
Date Fri, 08 Feb 2013 03:16:07 GMT
I undid your fix :) to leave it modular.
It still builds with the hostname as 'ahha' -- I can't figure out why.

What is left:
 Openswan requires interactive input to install. Previously we had a
pre-baked config.dat that fed into pkg-configure to supply canned
(postinstall_files in definition.rb will try to execute it).
One idea is to serve it from the http server that veewee runs to serve the
pressed.cfg file
Another idea is to make it a self-extracting shell file using [1]

Also all the custom config files in patches/systemvm/debian/config needs
to be copied into the vm. Again one can make a self-extracting shell file
or use the http server

Finally, I suspect netinst makes the base system far more bulky than it
needs to be. Some packages need to be trimmed after everything is
installed, apt-get clean needs to run and perhaps some locale data and man
pages need to be nuked.

On 2/7/13 4:22 AM, "Rohit Yadav" <bhaisaab@apache.org> wrote:

>Okay so I did few fixes, now there is only one postinstall.sh script
>which needs to be configured and one can simply port methods from the
>old script and it would run. One only required veewee and no other
>tool to build it, nor it packages any other dependency.
>
>Commit:
>https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-cloudstack.git;a=commi
>t;h=04d51c9e4dfccafcd54cd6581434c0db16ef8f85
>
>Now, someone with more experience with systemvm template needs to
>finish the postinstall.sh script with up-to-date packages. I'm done
>with basic definitions and code; building may take a lot of time, make
>sure you're good internet connection, it uses NAT to install stuff
>while running on vbox.
>
>Regards.
>
>On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 8:17 AM, Chiradeep Vittal
><Chiradeep.Vittal@citrix.com> wrote:
>> It is confusing -- gaah.
>> I could be persuaded that it could be licensed as Apache. But IANAL and
>>we
>> went through the legal wringer already on this in Aug/Sep.
>>
>> To build the actual systemvm, I would call another helper script in post
>> install: cloudstack.sh which replicates the packages() function in
>> buildsystemvm.sh
>>
>> To perform the overrides of default config files, it seems we would need
>> the puppet provisioner in vagrant?
>>

>> On 2/5/13 6:49 PM, "Rohit Yadav" <bhaisaab@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>>I'm not sure it applies, I did not copy them, veewee generates the
>>>definitions for you which are like stubs and you modify the
>>>definitions as per your needs. MIT should be compatible with APL?
>>>Besides, we're not including veewee in our codebase, they are just
>>>config files for veewee.
>>>
>>>This is not something new, we've veewee definitions in
>>>tools/devcloud/src/deps/boxes for devcloud etc. If this is an issue,
>>>we need to fix it there as well.
>>>
>>>Regards.

Pl.