From Rohit Yadav <bhais...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Google Summer of Code?
Date Thu, 14 Feb 2013 17:20:20 GMT
On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 9:12 PM, Chip Childers
<chip.childers@sungard.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 02:35:02PM +0530, Rohit Yadav wrote:
>> In my past experience the role of project admin for GSoC project would
>> be the most challenging.
>> To get started we need to setup a wiki page explaining how we want to
>> define our participation, what are the rules for students to submit
>> their applications. For example it's a very common practice that every
>> participating student should submit some patch or do some work as a
>> qualification task. Another important important task is to evangelize
>> the project among students so they know CloudStack exists. For
>> example, we tried to do one for VLMC [1] (but failed to attract any
>> student). Lastly, every participating project gets no. of slots (no.
>> of students that project can have) which is proportional to no. of
>> application (more of less) that project gets. After getting selected
>> as a project and getting no. of slots it's up to the project admin to
>> select proposed project/student and their mentor.
>>
>> If we serious, we can get started by evangelizing our project and work
>> on a wiki on which we propose certain ideas and mentors, but students
>> would actually propose their ideas [1].
>>
>> [1] http://wiki.videolan.org/SoC_2012#VLMC
>>
>> Regards.
>>
>> On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 2:04 PM, Nitin Mehta <Nitin.Mehta@citrix.com> wrote:
>> > +1.
>> > I would love to participate as well.

> It sounds like there are at least three potential mentors willing to
> help.  Rohit or Joe, do you want to follow up with the dev@community
> list to see if ASF is going to try to participate this year?  Perhaps
> they will at a top level, and we can be part of that?  In fact, we
> probably can only do it if the ASF does it as an org.

Hi Joe, can you take this one? I think I've seen Hadoop, Apache and
different projects participating differently and ASF as well in the
past. Just to inform I may be mentoring another project [1], but
anyway would help all.

[1] http://wiki.videolan.org/SoC_2013#AirPlay_streaming

Regards.