From Mice Xia <weiran.x...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [MERGE] Support VM Snapshot
Date Fri, 01 Feb 2013 16:53:29 GMT
as Alex suggested
updated vm-snapshot branch, commit ebca6890fd

1. remove snapshotting/revertting state from VM state machine
2  prevent VM state change if there are active vm snapshot tasks
3  change VMSnapshotService interface, except for ListVMSnapshotCmd,
need some time to replace it in QueryService, maybe after merging to
master
4  remove unused methods and fix some typos

Regards
Mice

2013/2/1 Mice Xia <mice_xia@tcloudcomputing.com>:
> Hi, Alex,
>
> Thanks for your feedbacks, please see my comments inline.
>
> - VM states is designed for VM lifecycle.  Snapshot is not part of VM life cycle so therefore
the state should not be there.  I think it make sense to add attributes to VM that says "Do
Not Change State" and  who changed the VM to that state.  Then virtualmachinemanager must
obey that until the external caller changes the attribute to now you can change state.  The
would make more sense and decouples snapshotting from vm lifecycle management.  Snapshotting
then has it's own state (which I see it does already).  If we want to reflect that a vm snapshot
is being taken of a VM, that's a function of the apiresponse module that gathers up everything
about a vm but it shouldn't be changed in the vm states.

> [mice] the reason that I added snapshotting/reverting state is that VM could be in suspend/pause
state during snapshoting/reverting, which is difficult to be categorized into existing states;
and during the process, VM should not be allowed to take any operations; and by adding new
states to VM, the implementation seems more 'natural' and only minimum codes are changed to
virtualmachinemanager.
> Of course there are some other ways to prevent operations, such as check if associated
snapshots are in snapshotting/reverting states either in each method (start/stop/migrate/delete...)
or hook stateTransitTo(), but in this way, it does not reflect VM's real state in hypervisor
and more existing codes will be touched.

> -  Does VM Revert operation work in the following way: Stop VM, restore to snapshot,
and run VM?  Shouldn't this be orchestration inside snapshot manager?

> [mice] if a running VM is reverted to a memory enabled snapshot, current implementation
is running--> reverting-->running
> If a stopped VM is reverted to memory disabled snapshot: stopped-->reverting->stopped
> If a running VM is reverted to a memory disabled snapshot: running--(Stop VM)-->stopped-->reverting-->
stopped
> If a stopped VM is reverted to a memory enabled snapshot: stopped--(Start VM)-->running->reverting-->running
>
> These logics are implemented in snapshot manager.
>
> - Does VM snapshot interfere with volume snapshot?  Volume snapshot today makes the assumption
that it is the only code that's making snapshots and can break if there are additional snapshots
in between.  This is bad design in volume snapshot but unfortunately that's how it's design.

> [mice] about volume snapshot, for xensever, if parent VHD cannot be found, it will take
a full volume snapshot (this indeed break current semantics but it still works)
> For vmware, the volume snapshot is always a full one.
>
> - VMSnapshotService follows the other services in passing the cmds to the service.  That's
really a bad practice that we should stop.  Cmds are really translations between over-the-wire
api and java interface.  They shouldn't have been passed to down to the java interface.
> [
> mice] I'll change it
>
> A small note: Would it be better to call it VM restore than VM revert?  Revert really
should be RevertTo which I think is in the code but is not consistent.  Some places it's just
REVERT (for example, the event is just revert).

> [mice] there is already RESTORE, which is restoring a destroyed VM to stopped. RevertTo
is fine with me.

> -Mice

was sick and didn't get a chance.  In general, I think the code is excellent.  I'm impressed
how much Cloudstack internal code in touch and how comfortable the changes look.  Nicely done!