From Marcus Sorensen <shadow...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Storage Refactor Question
Date Tue, 05 Feb 2013 21:51:12 GMT
The flow should be identical from a user's point of view. The
implementation depends on the primary storage. For example, the
existing methods/primary storage types will continue to work the same,
no change from a user's perspective, except for more storage options
as plugins are created.

What changes in the code is that instead of passing a CreateCommand to
the VM host to create a qcow2 file, a vhd, a logical volume, or
whatever constitutes a 'disk' per your primary storage implementation,
it talks to a new Volume Service that calls your primary storage
handler. It may do the same thing it did before (in the case of
existing storage types), or it may go carve out a LUN on the SAN, or
whatever you define.  This cleans up some of the issues around
if..elseif...elseif...elseif for every storage type.

You can certainly implement yet another primary storage type in the
current code. Then when the refactor comes along you can fix it up,
but either way the flow will be the same from the user.