From Jason Villalta <ja...@rubixnet.com>
Subject Cloudstack VLAN interfaces from bridge not physical interface.
Date Tue, 19 Feb 2013 04:09:25 GMT
I am trying to implement a different kind of network stack and I was
wondering if someone could point me in the direction of the source code
that handle vlan interface create in KVM.  What I am trying to do is have
the VLAN sub interfaces created from the bridge interface instead of from
the underlying physical interface.  I have don't this in the past with
native kvm without problem.  The added functionality this give you is you
can have a virtual machine act as a vlan router by passing the tagged
frames directly to it while at the same time have other virtual machine use
the vlans on their normal interfaces.  This does not currently work since
the physical interface is being used to create the vlan sub interfaces.
 This pulls the tagged frames out before they can get to the general
bridge.  In my case bond0.10 would identify the tagged frames before they
could get to the bridge.

Bond0 -> vmbr0(tagged frames) -> Vritual Router (Won't see vlan10)

Bond0.10 -> vmbr1 -> normal VM

Instead do this allow both vms to access VLAN10

Bond0 -> vmbr0(tagged frames) -> Virtual Router (Will see vlan10)

                vmbr0.10 -> vmbr1 -> normal VM

*Jason Villalta*
Co-founder
[image: Inline image 1]