From Will Stevens <wstev...@cloudops.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSE] Palo Alto Firewall Integration
Date Thu, 28 Feb 2013 17:19:22 GMT
Hi Manan,

Thanks for taking an interest in this project.

1. I am working with the 5.0.0 version of their OS, but I think the APIs I
am implementing are backwards compatible to the 4.1.0 version.
2. I am using the API that is exposed by the Firewall device (or Panorama),
so if you have a Palo Alto device then you have access to the APIs.  I am
confirming that I can make the API documentation available publicly.  If I
can, I will add it to the spec.
3. The main reason the Virtual Firewall is out of scope is because I am
working on a tight delivery timeline.  I will touch on this topic more when
I answer 5.
4. I do not plan to support Inline mode (yet).  The firewall will be able
to handle Source NAT, Static NAT, Firewall Policies and Port Forwarding to
start with.  Basically what the SRX currently supports.  Let me know if you
want more details about something specific.
5. This question goes to the heart of what I am trying to figure out right
now.  I want to write it so it is multi-tenant aware, but there are a few
ways to do that (which I am still researching).

   - I could use vsys and setup a different vsys for each tenant.  This
   would give us tenant separation and is the easiest to implement and manage.
    However, this concept only works on the newer Palo Alto firewalls.  Also,
   this mechanism will NOT work on Virtual Firewalls as they are not setup to
   handle multiple vsys.
   - Another option is separation by Zone.  We would have the Untrusted
   zone (being the internet) and instead of just having a single Trusted
   internal zone, we would have a different trusted zone per tenant.  I still
   have to figure out all the details with this approach, but that is the
   basic idea.
   - The next option I am not as clear on.  It would use dynamic addresses
   and each tenant would get an address group with their dynamic addresses.  I
   have to spend more time understanding how this would work to figure out if
   it is a viable option.

The options above basically cover the 'Shared' firewall setup.  The next
piece of your question is about managing multiple firewall devices.  This
is supported by Palo Alto through the Panorama addition.  Panorama does
have an additional cost.  According to Palo Alto it is nominal in
comparison to the cost of the device its self.  They say that pretty much
everyone buys Panorama with their device.
If we ignore the additional cost for the sake of argument.  How would you
expect the firewalls to be managed.  Would all config get pushed to all
firewalls all the time?  Or would there have to be a mechanism for
isolating a specific firewall in the CloudStack UI?

If you can flesh out more of what you have in mind for this piece I will
look into it more.

6. My understanding is that Palo Alto's virtual firewall implementation
assumes that it is providing service to a single tenant (which is why vsys
is not compatible with it).  We might be able to figure out how to add
support for it by requiring that it be a Dedicated firewall.  I have not
put much thought into this yet.  I have to put a lot of thought into the
multi-firewall, multi-tentant configuration still.  I only just started
looking into how I am going to handle this.

Please feel free to ask follow up questions.  A knowledgable debate on this
topic will probably help everyone.

Cheers,

Will