From Jessica Tomechak <jessica.tomec...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Animesh Chaturvedi as a committer
Date Fri, 22 Feb 2013 22:30:07 GMT
On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 2:45 AM, Joe Brockmeier <jzb@zonker.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 22, 2013, at 01:01 AM, Rohit Yadav wrote:
>
> > While this is the first time a proposal was made public, I had to
> > rant, the toughest email I had to write, but anyway you should ignore
> > it:
>
> I'd also point out, this isn't something that we dreamed up specifically
> for CloudStack - we're following Apache practices here. It's worth
> researching whether something is CloudStack-specific or an Apache
> process before holding other folks feet to the fire about the way
> they're doing things.
>
> These are the Apache guidelines for voting on committers:
> http://community.apache.org/newcommitter.html
>
> AFAIK, individual projects (and certainly not incubating projects) are
> not free to disregard these practices.
>
> Best,
>
> jzb
> --
> Joe Brockmeier
> jzb@zonker.net
> Twitter: @jzb
> http://www.dissociatedpress.net/

Totally agreed about all Animesh's awesome contributions. But I have a
"this is my first open-source project" question.

I searched Reviewboard and don't see any patches from Animesh. Why would
someone who doesn't write code need to be a committer?

I read the Apache "committers" docs [1][2] and they mention a few
"back-office" things committers can do, but they pretty much assume that
writing code is the main reason to be a committer.

Again: totally agreed about Animesh's awesome contributions. Maybe Animesh
has written tons of code for the project which I've overlooked, in which
case I apologize. I'm still curious about what else committers can do.

[1] http://community.apache.org/committers/index.html
[2] http://www.apache.org/dev/new-committers-guide.html

Jessica T.