From Chip Childers <chip.child...@sungard.com>
Subject Re: Redistributing 3rd party code licensed under Apache License 2.0
Date Tue, 05 Feb 2013 21:40:29 GMT
On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 4:37 PM, Donal Lafferty
<donal.lafferty@citrix.com> wrote:
> To be clear, the 3rd party dependency is now limited to code written by Cloud.com, now
owned by Citrix Systems.

> The background is that in 2010, Chiradeep wrote hyperv.py for the Diablo release of OpenStack.
 The source is clearly copyrighted Cloud.com (see https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/stable/diablo/nova/virt/hyperv.py).
 The contributors license doesn't assign the copyright (see https://rackspace.echosign.com/public/hostedForm?formid=XFNNZV3W23XE7N),
rather it provides a perpetual license.  The code in this file was updated to remove dependencies
on OpenStack and allow it to understand CloudStack commands, so it cannot be reused unmodified.

> Since the code is going away after this release, a rewrite would have a very short lifetime.

Honestly, this question caused the feature to not make it into 4.1.0
(plus I believe there were other outstanding questions raised) .  So
we are really talking about 4.2.0.

> Citrix has already donated a chunk of cloud.com IP to Apache CloudStack.  Can I not use
the process for this file?

It could be, but you made it sound like we would move to another
approach in the future.  Why don't we head down that path?