From Sheng Yang <sh...@yasker.org>
Subject Re: [ANNOUNCE] cloudstack-dev mailing list has stripped "Reply-to" header
Date Tue, 05 Feb 2013 23:06:04 GMT
Hi Brett,

The "reply-to" header is exactly what bothering us. It make us go
through every thread to check if it's the one we've involved or not.

And, people would able to update their mail client filter to the get
the result they want when we're using current policy, but they can't
get the mail they involved when we enforce "reploy-to" policy.

I know it's an enforcement for new member reply in the public, but I
believe it's better(and not that hard) to be spontaneously.

--Sheng

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 2:47 PM, Brett Porter <brett@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I hate jumping in after the fact, but I wanted to check if that was the result everyone
was expecting? What I understood from the previous thread was that the community would build
up a convention of CCing people to get their attention, not that the default reply-to would
be changed.

> I'm confused by the claim that the list stripped To/CC, as I can see examples where they
were retained when used [1] [2]. When I reply-to-all on those messages, they are also retained
as CCs. Is that not what you were seeing?

> The thing that wasn't retained was a CC of the sender if you reply-to-all, but a better
alternative to that would be for people wishing to have that behaviour to CC themselves on
mails they send to the list. I know at least one person said they didn't want to be CC'd on
list mails, and they could then choose whether or not that happens.

> The reason reply-to the list is the default is so that the default mode of operation
is communicating with the entire community publicly. It is probably most helpful to newer
members of the list that aren't yet familiar with the conventions. This change will particularly
trip up those that are new to the list, but familiar with other ASF lists where reply-to is
predominantly set. If you intend to continue with the change, you may want to consider adding
a message trailer that reminds readers of the difference, and points them to the mailing list
guidelines.