From Edison Su <Edison...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: Storage plug-in question
Date Thu, 07 Feb 2013 18:47:27 GMT

From: Mike Tutkowski [mailto:mike.tutkowski@solidfire.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 06, 2013 8:07 PM
To: cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org
Cc: Edison Su
Subject: Storage plug-in question

Hi Edison,

I have a quick question for you.  :)

A week or so ago, I went through the process of setting up iSCSI storage to be used from CloudStack
with XenServer.

When I tried to set the storage up by creating a Primary Storage type and selecting iSCSI
as the protocol, the process did not work (I received an error message that Primary Storage
could not be created).

[Edison] Do you have more detailed error messages? Adding an existing iSCSI target into xenserver
host, should work.

What I had to do was set XenServer up to see the iSCSI storage first, then go into CloudStack
and create a Primary Storage type by selecting the PreSetup option.

I am wondering if in the storage_refactor branch we have solved this issue?  For example,
in the storage_refactor branch, the admin could associate a Primary Storage type with the
SolidFire plug-in.  When the user makes use of a Compute or Disk Offering that leverages the
Primary Storage type that is based on the SolidFire plug-in, storage will need to be created
(that's the plug-in's job) and then associated with a Cluster.  If that Cluster is running
XenServer, will this work?

[Edison] Yes, that the PrimaryDataStoreLifeCycle will do, in the initialize method call, you
can create an iSCSI LUN, then in attachCluster, you can attach it into one xenserver cluster.

Basically, I just wanted to confirm that we expect this new plug-in architecture will be compatible
with all of the hypervisors that CloudStack supports.

Thanks!

--
Mike Tutkowski
Senior CloudStack Developer, SolidFire Inc.