From Anthony Xu <Xuefei...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: Setting up CloudStack to use XenServer with iSCSI
Date Fri, 08 Feb 2013 06:04:51 GMT
In XenServer pool, there is one master host, the rest are slave host, CloudStack only talks
to master host, when set up SR, CloudStack tells master host to create a shared SR, master
host will ask every slave to create connection to iscsi server, then every host in this XenServer
pool  can see this SR.

Anthony

From: Mike Tutkowski [mailto:mike.tutkowski@solidfire.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2013 10:00 PM
To: Anthony Xu
Cc: Alex Huang; Edison Su; cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org; Marcus Sorensen
Subject: Re: Setting up CloudStack to use XenServer with iSCSI

OK, cool...thanks for that info, Anthony.

When CloudStack sets up the storage repository, does it just pick any XenServer host and that
XenServer host communicates the info to its peers?

On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 10:48 PM, Anthony Xu <Xuefei.Xu@citrix.com<mailto:Xuefei.Xu@citrix.com>>
wrote:
Xenserver hosts under one cluster are in one XenServer pool, there is one iscsi storage repository
from xenserver hosts perspective.

Anthony

Marcus Sorensen
> [...]
> workaround for
> > our customers (including those who won't upgrade to 4.2 right away).
> >
> > What I put out there in previous messages may or may not work.  I'm
> really
> > new to CloudStack, so I'd certainly like to get input from those with
> > experience.
> >
> > I wrote it earlier, but let me re-write it here again.  This is what
> I was
> > thinking:
> >
> > Most CSPs have their own GUIs that talk to CS.  If I could get them
> > make a little update to their code, they could invoke a program I
> would
> > (theoretically) write when a "special" Compute Offering was selected.
> >
> > The way they would recognize this special Compute Offering would be
> based
> > on its Storage Tag.  Let's say its Storage Tag is "SolidFire".
> >
> > If their GUI sees that tag, it invokes my program and passes in the
> > necessary data.  My program goes off to the SolidFire SAN and creates
> > volume of the requested size and speed.  The output of this operation
> is an
> > IQN.
> >
> > This program could then talk to XenServer and create a new storage
> > repository that's based on this IQN (or whatever the equivalent is in
> KVM
> > and VMware).
> >
> > After that has completed, this program could update the Storage Tag
> of a
> > known Primary Storage in CS with, say, the IQN of the volume.  It
> would do
> > the same thing with the Compute Offering in question (so now the
> Compute
> > Offering refers to the Primary Storage due to this common Storage
> Tag).
> >
> > At this point, the CSP's GUI could initiate the process of creating a
> VM
> > and the VM should reside on a unique SolidFire volume that is the
> only
> > volume in that XenServer's related storage repository.
> >
> > The CSP then sets the Storage Tag of the Compute Offering and Primary
> > Storage back to what it was initially:  "SolidFire".
> >
> > Is that reasonable or perhaps I'm missing something?  It's not ideal,
> but
> > mainly I'm looking for a workable solution to provide to customers
> before
> > 4.2 is out.
> >
> > Thanks for your time!
> >

> > On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 5:33 PM, Alex Huang <Alex.Huang@citrix.com<mailto:Alex.Huang@citrix.com>>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Mike,
> >>
> >> One thing you should be aware of is that CloudStack used lvmoiscsi
> SR for
> >> iscsi.  It is not vdi per lun.  From your other emails, I think
> solid fire
> >> is trying to implement vdi/volume per lun.  It's very different from

Edison Su; Marcus