From Frank Zhang <Frank.Zh...@citrix.com>
Subject [TIPS]You don't have to rebuild whole CloudStack again and again
Date Tue, 12 Feb 2013 22:44:23 GMT
Just for people who may not have known this.

As CloudStack switched to maven, the build time for the whole project increases significantly.
Back to the old golden day with ant, developers of CloudStack usually do:

ant clean-all build-all

I know lots of them still do this in maven version by "mvn clean install -Dnoss". So if you
only change some code of a component, you don't have to rebuild whole project, just
go to sub-folder of that component, for example, for my baremetal I go to incubator-cloudstack/plugins/hypervisors/baremetal
and do "mvn clean install -Dnoss". It will only
build/install that component(module in maven noun) which reduces a lot of build time.  Thanks
guys making CloudStack into small plugins.

one thing to note is if you changed a CONSTANT in one module and this CONSTANT is referred
in other modules, you have to rebuild referring modules as well(I suggest rebuilding
whole project in this case), because javac will resolve CONSTANT in compiling time not linking
time for optimization.

Still, if you encounter some weird issue, rebuilding whole project is always safe.