From Sonny Chhen <Sonny.Ch...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: android cloudstack client
Date Tue, 19 Feb 2013 17:51:10 GMT
Hello Chip,

Thus far the plans are to make this an open-source product. We are in the early beginning
stages of thought behind all this and have yet to decide on anything. I'll start a formal
discussion and proposal as we have a better idea of where we would like to see this going.
It' great to hear that there is some interest in this though.

Thanks You and Best Regards,

Sonny H. Chhen
Manager of User Interface & User Experience | Citrix Systems - CloudPlatform
4988 Great America Parkway, Santa Clara, CA  95054, USA

-----Original Message-----
From: Chip Childers [mailto:chip.childers@sungard.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 7:50 AM
To: Pranav Saxena
Cc: cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org; Sonny Chhen; Brian Federle
Subject: Re: android cloudstack client

On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 09:12:39PM +0530, Pranav Saxena wrote:
> I'll let Sonny comment on this one if there is a plan to make it open source . But yes
, this project is still inchoate with ideas still being exchanged on how to take its development
forward.

Just so we're clear, and so that we don't have a repeat of the past mistakes, if you want
to do this as part of Apache CloudStack, the discussion should be on this list.

On the other hand, if you want to do it as a separate project, then feel free and best of
luck!  And if you want to keep it as a commercial product, than that's fine too.

I just want to remind folks of the difference between developing something in the community
vs outside of it.

Anyhow...  it would be a great thing to have for the users, regardless of where and how it's
built!

-chip

> Regards,
> Pranav

, I don' have an answer to this.  But good to see that you really think that this could be
in huge demand .

> So this is under development as a commercial Citrix product right now?

- which is also open-source - is priceless.

> > To reflect on this thought, this tool will be in demand by both corporate and hosting
clients.

> > How certain are you that Citrix is going to donate the code?
> >

> > "Musayev, Ilya" <imusayev@webmd.net> wrote:
> > This is great. I'd even say Android version is more in demand - but I dont want
to start smartphone wars.

> > Whenevrrvtest version is ready, please let us know.
> >
> > In the meantime - for marketing reasons I'm going to note "mobile admin tool is
in the works"

> > Thanks
> > Ilya
> >

> > Pranav Saxena <pranav.saxena@citrix.com> wrote:
> > Hi abhi ,
> >
> > Even me and Brian had started to design the front end for an Android/ iOS app for
cloudstack and we were using the phoneGap API to handle few of the touch functionalities for
this . We thought that when we have a basic prototype up and working , we'll share it with
the community .

> > Our plan is to have a basic set of features like starting an instance , stopping
an instance , may be take a snapshot and list the capacity charts on the dashboard .

> > Could you also elaborate on what exactly is your plan and how do you plan to have
the UI design for your work ? May be we should collaborate on this and avoid any redundant
work .

> > Regards,
> > Pranav

be ? I have started to put together a android client initially to show dash board and later
probably will add more functionality.