From Paul Angus <paul.an...@shapeblue.com>
Subject RE: QEMU support in CloudStack
Date Sun, 10 Feb 2013 20:57:07 GMT
Sure. This came about while experimenting with various configurations of the Xen hypervisor.

I'll start my making the grand statement, then try to expain my thinking:

'By supporting the Libvirt and XAPI APIs rather than 'KVM' and 'XenServer', CloudStack would
be able to (potentially) orchestrate many more hypervisors.'

I'll summarise my limited knowledge on the subject...

'Xen' is in-fact the Xen hypervisor with a 'toolset' on top (xl, xe, libvirt or xapi)
Xen + the XAPI toolset being the basis for XenServer and XCP
Libvirt (like XAPI) is an API layer that controls the underlying hypervisor.  (so far so good)....

I'd created a Ubuntu Xen box with the Libvirt API on top thinking that it would act like a
'KVM' host as CloudStack talks to KVM via the Libvirt API  - and failed miserably.
But this got me thinking and I looked closer into KVM, Libvirt, Xen and XAPI

Libvirt is (like XAPI) an API layer that controls the underlying hypervisor which could be
any of:
    Xen
    QEMU / KVM
    Linux Container
    OpenVZ
    UML
    VirtualBox
    VMware ESX
    VMware Workstation / Player
    Microsoft Hyper-V

Libvirt also supports the following storage:
    Directory backend
    Local filesystem backend
    Network filesystem backend
    Logical backend
    Disk backend
    iSCSI backend
    SCSI backend
    Multipath backend
    RBD (RADOS Block Device) backend
    Sheepdog backend

So....

If CloudStack were designed to communicate with XAPI and Libvirt - it would open quite a few
doors.

(maybe??)

Regards,

Paul Angus