From Pranav Saxena <pranav.sax...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: Git Branching Question
Date Fri, 08 Feb 2013 17:03:32 GMT
Hey Mike ,

Assuming you have done your changes on the storage-refactor branch but you haven't committed
or staged them and then you checkout to a new branch (git checkout -b "mike_temp" ) , then
your changes would still be shown in the new branch . You could do a "git status" to verify
your list of changes before and after you checked out to a new branch.

Regards,
Pranav
-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Tutkowski [mailto:mike.tutkowski@solidfire.com]
Sent: Friday, February 08, 2013 9:51 PM
To: cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Git Branching Question

Hi everyone,

I'm somewhat new to Git (mainly used SVN).

I am currently working on the storage_refactor branch.  I've added some code and changed a
little existing code, but not staged or committed it to my local repo.

After I added and modified code, I was advised it would be better for me to branch from storage_refactor
and put my code in that branch (pulling from storage_refactor as I go).

My question is this:  With un-tracked files and modified files from the storage_refactor branch
(again, nothing staged or committed), if I branch from storage_refactor, where will my un-tracked
files and modified files end up?  Will they be in my new branch and the storage_refactor branch
will look as if I never did anything in it (that would be ideal)?

Thanks!

--
*Mike Tutkowski*
e: mike.tutkowski@solidfire.com