From John Burwell <jburw...@basho.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Supported Java version
Date Tue, 26 Feb 2013 21:42:55 GMT
Alex,

I think we are in violent agreement.  I am only advocating for a build tested on JRE7, and
listed as officially supported in our docs.  Using the Java7 features is a completely different
discussion.

Thanks,
-John

On Feb 26, 2013, at 3:52 PM, Alex Huang <alex.huang@citrix.com> wrote:

> +1 That's exactly what I said in my reply as well.  Support for Java7 means we test with
JRE7 in 4.1 but support for Java7 does not mean we should push for deprecating JRE6 support.

> --Alex

distributions and as such will be supported in i.e. Debian Wheezy for at least years into
the future.

> I'm not talking about not supporting java 7, the java ecosystem has traditionally been
very good at supporting code targeting current_version - 1, but I propose we avoid using language
features and quirks that break java 6 compatibility.

> /n
>
> On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 5:04 PM, John Burwell <jburwell@basho.com<mailto:jburwell@basho.com>>
wrote:
> Noa,
>
> I think of one very good reason -- as of this month, Java6 has been EOL'ed [1] by Oracle
(i.e. no more updates).  Given the number of security issues that have cropped in Java lately,
it seems prudent, in my mind, to ensure that the next release runs on an officially supported
JRE.  Also, OpenJDK 7 is widely available for modern distributions (see openjdk-7 packages
in Ubuntu 12.04 and java-1.7.0-openjdk in RHEL/CentOS 6.3).