From John Kinsella <...@stratosec.co>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS][INFRA] Setting up gerrit
Date Sat, 09 Feb 2013 22:31:47 GMT
-1 for reasons listed by others. I think Gerrit's great, and I like the idea of peer code reviews,
but my gut feel is this doesn't gel well with an open source project (happy to review examples
where it's being used…)

Coud we maybe enable gerrit for specific pieces of code? e.g. we should probably keep a closer
eye on modifications to things like cloud-core…

Worth considering: by not using a review process for all code, what percentage of software
defects will we miss?

John

On Feb 8, 2013, at 11:06 AM, Alex Huang <Alex.Huang@citrix.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I like to propose that we setup gerrit as the review mechanism.  Here are my reasons
>
> - Committer status in Apache is a reflection of one's commitment to the community, not
a reflection of understanding of code.  So to me just because you have committer status shouldn't
mean code does not need review.  Chip's been doing a great job monitoring the merges and commits
but one person handling all that just means things will slip through.
> - This also has the side effect of contributors' code contribution to be treated as a
second class citizen with delays in reviews because review is not common place within our
community.
> - Direct commits have to be reverted if there are -1 votes, directly impacting the time
and effort of the code contributor.

> It makes a lot of sense to make code commit and review a normal process in the CloudStack
Community.

> --Alex

o: 415.315.9385
@johnlkinsella