From Wido den Hollander <w...@widodh.nl>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Packaging password/ssh reset scripts
Date Mon, 04 Feb 2013 11:35:15 GMT
On 02/03/2013 12:44 PM, David Nalley wrote:
> Hi folks:
>
> One of the discussions that came up while we were in Ghent was whether
> or not to package the SSH key reset and password reset utilities, or
> whether we should focus our PW/SSH efforts on cloud-init.
>
> The points for consideration are essentially:
>
> * If we begin packaging them, they will be expected to be maintained
> over the long term - are we as a project ready to do that?
> * Do we keep the scripts in the repo, or perhaps consider adding a
> separate repo for the scripts themselves. (This would make it easier
> for distribution packagers to consume - and even if they don't wish to
> package all of CloudStack - packaging the scripts themselves would be
> substantially easier.
> * cloud-init has CloudStack support IIRC, does it make sense to adopt
> that rather than doing our own thing, or perhaps to elect one as the
> primary method.

+1 cloud-init

We want CloudStack to be accepted by more and more users and they
probably want to use cloud-init.

cloud-init has cool Puppet and Chef plugins as well which make it very
easy to get it all up and running.

Do we have full cloud-init support yet? Are we able to pass "User Data"
to a VM?

I think it would be wise to support cloud-init and do not use our own
custom, homegrown scripts.

This makes it also easier for companies to make templates which work on
OpenStack and CloudStack. Interoperability!

Wido