From Srikanteswararao Talluri <srikanteswararao.tall...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: [DOC] Is the Working with Volumes section missing from docs on purpose?
Date Thu, 21 Feb 2013 03:55:30 GMT
Marcus,

Can you share the automated tests you developed for this feature?

Thanks,
~Talluri

-----Original Message-----
From: Marcus Sorensen [mailto:shadowsor@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 23:21
To: Hari Kannan
Cc: cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org; Srikanteswararao Talluri; Jessica Tomechak
Subject: Re: [DOC] Is the Working with Volumes section missing from docs on purpose?

On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 1:49 PM, Hari Kannan <hari.kannan@citrix.com> wrote:
> Hi Marcus, devs,
>
> Can you also please clarify the following:
>
> - what hypervisor platforms are supported with 4.1?
Per the FS:
   the KVM hypervisor, with focus on qcow2 and CLVM online resize. RBD support is planned.
   Xen supports volume resize with VM shut down
   VMware support was also submitted and applied

> - does this require a reboot of the VM?
   There is no reboot requirement, but it depends on the guest OS.
User should scan the guest's disk controller (this is done differently for each OS and the
admin of that system should be familiar with it) for new disks, and/or reboot.
   Xen requires that the VM be shut down, or the data disk detached, prior the SR reports
that online resize is not supported. The FS states that we'd need someone with more Xen/SR
experience to look into whether that can be fixed.

> - Is this statement from the FS still accurate/implemented? "volume resize will be allowed
between disk offerings with the same storage tag. for example, if an admin has defined a 5GB
and a 10GB disk offering, a user can upgrade from the 5GB to the 10GB. If the admin has made
a custom-sized disk offering available, then resize will work simply by specifying a new,
larger size. Additionally, a data volume can be moved from a static disk offering to a custom
disk offering with the size specified"

Yes. The resize was implemented this way so as not to break the disk offering model. For example,
if an admin only wants to offer 10, 50, and 100G offerings, then allowing resize needs to
stay within those limitations. Thus, unless a disk offering is already a 'custom sized', where
the user can choose a size, we require the user to provide a new offering, and we actually
migrate between offerings, adjusting the size to match.

> - what platforms support downsizing the volume, if any? If downsized, what happens to
the data?
KVM with CLVM, and Xen SR/VHD (customer may not be aware of which xen primary storages use
this on the back end, I think they all do... ??).
I didn't develop the VMware one, but if I recall, shrink wasn't supported.

If downsized, the disk is simply truncated. Therefore, user should resize any partitions/filesystems
prior to shrink, so that any data is moved off of the end of the disk. This is why there's
the extra 'shrinkok' parameter, which protects against inadvertent shrinking of a disk. User
signs off that they know what they're doing. The doc should make it clear that this is a potentially
dangerous operation.

> - It would also be nice to see a short example write up of what needs to be done in the
guest OS to make this work..

The idea was to count on reboot. If admin knows how to rescan disk for changes, and it works,
then bonus!
For linux: echo "- - -" > /sys/class/scsi_host/<host controller of disk>/scan For
Windows, I think you: right-click computer, select 'manage', right-click 'disk management',
select 'rescan disks'
For BSD : ?