From Chip Childers <chip.child...@sungard.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Decouple your code by text file(e.g XML)
Date Tue, 19 Feb 2013 14:49:11 GMT
On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 04:24:48PM -0800, Frank Zhang wrote:
> I have said too much about XML files recently, excuse me for raising this topic again,

> I really want to elaborate why text (e.g XML) configuration files is so important and
how
> it decouples your project especially for project written by static language like java.
>
> Let me cite our new ApiDiscoveryService as an example(This service is very good, I use
it
> as example just because I encounter a small problem and the problem is a good study case
> for decoupling code using text configuration files).
>
> The problem is: ApiDiscoveryService discovers API commands by invoking PluggableService.
getCommands().
> Each plugin service needs to implement getCommands() which returns a List<Class<?>>
including classes of
> API command the plugin service supports. This is good, lots of project use similar way
in plugin system.

> ManagementServerImpl is a special API service, it registers all orchestration API commands
like *addHost*. Now
> I have a special API called *addBaremetalHost* which inherits *addHost* adding one more
field.  *addBaremetalHost*
> is actually handled by the same orchestration code as *addHost*(but different HostDiscover
which is another story),
> unfortunately, this API belongs to my Baremetal plugin that means I can't add it into
 ManagementServerImpl. getCommands()
> because orchestration code should not have a dependency to plugin code.
>
> The solution is simple, I use a BaremetalManager to register *addBaremetalHost* and inject/call
orchestration code to deal with it.

> However, this case shows us how compiling time dependency in static language makes your
code tight coupling.
> Everybody programing in java/C/C++ knows the pain of planning your project skeleton to
avoid circular dependency.
> One of solutions is to use text configuration file. Back to our example, ApiDiscoveryService,
we can put a folder which
> stores API configuration XML at a well-known place, every PluggableService has a XML
file describing its API and Spring bean
> name in the folder. for example:
>
> <apiService>
> 	<api>
> 		<command> com.cloud.baremetal.manager.AddBaremetalHostCmd</command>
> 		<acl>some acl</acl>
> 		<owner>Spring_bean_name_of_baremetal_manager</owner>
>   	</api>
> <apiService>
>
> When ApiDiscoveryService starts, it scans the folder and parses XML files to discover
every api/theirs properties/owner bean. By doing this, ApiDiscoveryService/
> PluggableService/API command classes totally have no compiling time dependency, they
can freely seat in any packages as long as these packages present in
> classpath during runtime. To my case, I don't have to inject orchestration code in my
plugin anymore,  I just use a XML file to tell ApiDiscoveryService that addBaremetalHost
> is taken cared by ManagementServerImpl as well though ManagementServerImpl has no knowledge
about it.

> CloudStack used to have similar idea command.properties, unfortunately it's only used
as ACL declaration now.

> This is a trivial example,  but it reflects a truth that compiling dependency is naturally
making your code tight. Many people criticize dynamic language is error-prone because it
> lacks compiling time check, but as another side of coin, it's also easy to produce loose-coupling
code. Thinking about OpenStack, if you were going to use Java to fork it, I am pretty
> sure the compiling time dependency will drive you crazy.  For instance, java-nova and
java-cinder both need to know Volume that represents vm disk, now where do you define it?
in java-nova?
> in java-cinder? Then who depends on who? Or totally don't define any data structure,
using a HashMap to transmit primitive variables, then where is beauty of compiling check?

> As we have adopted Spring that uses XML a lot in CloudStack, I suggest us taking more
consideration of text configuration file when designing a new feature. it really works.

+1 to what Frank is saying.  Runtime configuration is much more flexible
than compile-time scenarios!

-chip