From Chip Childers <chip.child...@sungard.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] Graduation to a TLP?
Date Wed, 13 Feb 2013 14:50:14 GMT
Hi all,

I started a conversation within cloudstack-private@i.a.o about the
prospect of graduation from the incubator, and have received positive
reactions from everyone that replied.

I wanted to kick off the discussion here on the public list, to see if
anyone has any concerns or objections to us starting down the path of
trying to graduate?

My general impression is that we have come a long way as a community
since CloudStack entered the incubator. While there are still rough edges
for us to work through over time, we are dealing with our problems quite
well as a community. The simple reason that I believe we are in a
position to ask to graduate, is that we are no longer getting value from
the incubation process!  That's a good thing, because it means that we
have managed to learn quite a bit about the ASF processes, rules,
methods and preferences.

Thoughts, comments, discussion?

If the community is in general agreement, we have some work to get done:

We need to go through the podling status file, and ensure that we have
completed everything that needs to be completed:
http://incubator.apache.org/projects/cloudstack.html

The CloudStack trademark is currently owned by Citrix.  We need to have
that transfered to ASF prior to graduation.  David also suggested in the
private list that we probably need to execute the formal ASF name
search, for the purpose of providing the ASF with assurances that there
are no surprise conflicts.

Once we get the final pre-graduation requirements completed, we need to
go through the process of attempting to graduate.  I suggest that folks
take a minute to read through the Incubator's Guide to Successful
Graduation page [1].

The first step of the process seems to be to kick off a formal community
vote to propose graduation to the IPMC.  If we vote to graduate, then we
have to draft a charter / graduation resolution.  This is will be
proposed to the IPMC for their review, and if passed in an IPMC vote we
forward it to the ASF board for their vote during a monthly board
meeting.

So that's the high level process...  As I asked above, any thoughts?

-chip

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html