From Joe Brockmeier <...@zonker.net>
Subject Re: [DOCS][DISCUSS]Documentation for 4.1
Date Tue, 12 Feb 2013 16:54:42 GMT
On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 05:25:11PM +0100, Sebastien Goasguen wrote:
> After 2/28 we will just fix doc bugs, not add new docs, even if a feature
> is included in 4.1 if its docs are not in by 2/28 then too bad.

-1 to this.

The reason for stopping feature development with a hard freeze is that
new features have the potential to disrupt the codebase badly enough
that it's a major issue.

Adding new docs makes it a problem for translators, but it doesn't carry
the same level of disruption as new features. For example, think about
the impact if Javelin landed a week later than it did into master vs.
the impact of adding another section to the install or admin guide. It's
not really comparable.

Also - leaving a feature out of a release means it can be picked up in a
later release. Failing to document features is, basically, a bug that
should be fixed (if possible) before a release.

> That's a bit of tough love, but that's what will happen if we want to
> stick to the schedule.

I'd like to stick to the schedule, but we should have more flexibility
here than with features. It's also worth noting this is the first
time through with a hard feature release and we're still finding our way
- and what we seem to be finding is that ~1 month for documentation is a
bit tricky when a lot of features land (or don't) right on the feature
deadline.

Best,

jzb
--