From Chip Childers <chip.child...@sungard.com>
Subject Re: Palo Alto Firewall Integration
Date Thu, 07 Feb 2013 20:29:46 GMT
On Thu, Feb 07, 2013 at 03:14:18PM -0500, Will Stevens wrote:
> Hey Everyone,
> My name is Will Stevens and I am the lead developer at CloudOps (
> www.cloudops.com).  At CloudOps we build and manage public and private
> clouds.
>
> We are working with Palo Alto to add support in CloudStack for the Palo
> Alto firewall.  The initial phase of this project will be to add Palo Alto
> feature parity with the current Juniper SRX firewall integration.
>
> I am building a network element plugin for this functionality.  I am
> building the functionality into a local branch (called 'palo_alto') which
> is off the 'master' branch.  Once I have everything working, I will make
> the code available for review.
>
> Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself and let you all know that I am
> working on this.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Will

Welcome to the fun!

A couple of requests:

First, we usually request that you keep your development out in the open
(if it's going to be long running).  You can do this by pushing to a
github repo of your choosing (usually your own), and then letting the
community know where it is (and what branch).

Similarly to your code, please do try to keep all discussion about how
to implement the feature on this list (as well as requirement
discussions).

There are also a few administrative things that we like to have developers
to as well, if you don't mind too much:

We usually start with a spec for the new feature, which goes on the wiki.
The template for the spec can be found at [1].  The new page you create
should probably be a child of the "Design Documents Not Committed to a
Release" page initially [2]. Once you have something to discuss, let the
list know (usually using a DISCUSS or PROPOSE subject line tag).

When you get closer to submitting a patch (and usually a squashed patch
is best) for review, we'll ask for a "New Feature" jira ticket to be
created within the project's bug tracker [3].  Ask to have your account
added as a contributor, once you are ready, so that you can assign the new
feature to yourself.

One really important concern that has bitten folks in the past, is the
inclusion of any third party code or new dependencies for the project.
Please bring those up as early as possible, so we can ensure that they
don't become a hurdle for your feature to be accepted.

Whew - Hopefully that's not too much to ask, but we've been trying to get
into a rhythm with these things to keep ourselves organized.

Thanks again, and looking forward to hearing more from you as things
progress!

-chip

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Design+Document+Template