From Joe Brockmeier <...@zonker.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Supported Java version
Date Tue, 26 Feb 2013 19:19:13 GMT
On Tue, Feb 26, 2013, at 12:38 PM, John Burwell wrote:
> +1 to the major version bump.
> On Feb 26, 2013, at 6:07 AM, Wido den Hollander <wido@widodh.nl> wrote:
>
> > On 02/25/2013 06:36 PM, Alex Huang wrote:
> >> I don't think these things are mutually exclusive.
> >>
> >> We should support Java7.
> >> We should keep supporting Java6 until it is no longer supported by the new distros.

So - Oracle Java 6 is no longer supported by Ubuntu, at least, nor
shipped any longer.

OpenJDK 6 will wind down support this month, if I'm understanding things
correctly:

http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/jdk6-dev/2013-January/002835.html

We should deprecate Java 6 in 4.2 - continue to support it, but be very
loud that we are going to cease officially supporting Java 6 after 4.2.
If that means we bump 4.2+1 to 5.0, then it's probably going to be time
to do so.

Best,

jzb
--