From "Musayev, Ilya" <imusa...@webmd.net>
Subject Re: CloudStack VS OpenStack - stack wars
Date Wed, 23 Jan 2013 15:11:27 GMT
Thanks guys.

Two week bake of it is..

Chip Childers <chip.childers@sungard.com> wrote:
On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 4:14 AM, Sebastien Goasguen <runseb@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ilya, it's a difficult one to answer on this list.
>
> However, if you try to remain objective I would point out some reading to your management:
>
> -Dell is holding off on openstack cloud offering:
> http://www.cloudecosystem.com/author.asp?section_id=1873&doc_id=256815
>
> -HP cloud running on openstack is considered a fork (I could not find a more recent article,
so one would need to check this):
> http://www.wired.com/insights/2011/09/hp-launches-cloud-beta-dell-warns-them-on-openstack-dont-fork-it-up/
>
> -And the gartner "warning":
> http://www.gartner.com/technology/reprints.do?id=1-1C3IGID&ct=120919&st=sb
>
> Other than that, I think the best thing to do is a 2 weeks bake off at your company to
evaluate what works best for your local constraints.

Ilya,

I'd agree with Sebastien...

Do a bake-off.  It's always best to try technologies like this in the
lab setting, before making a decision.  To be fair to OpenStack - use
one of the distros that has solved the installation complexity (like
StackOps).  That lab time will give you the technical part of your
answer.  BTW - I'd actually say that an even more fair bake-off would
include at least one other option:  Euca, OpenNebula, or something
else.

As for "greater adoption/usage rate", I don't want to get into that
argument on the list.  Commercial interests surrounding both projects
are going to continue to wage a marketing war with each other, and
that means that the actual project's are going to be frequently judged
through those filters.  I would consider the number of known
*production* installations of each as a way to cut through the
marketing.

One concern that a business leader may have around CloudStack, given
the previously mentioned "marketing war", is the potential longevity
of the project.  I would think about it like this:  to me, the
donation of CS to ASF all but assured a long life for the project.
Here, users quickly become contributors (and then committers).  Our
project as a great "user" representation in development discussions,
and that means allot to the life of a project.

Also consider that the ASF has a proven track record of success for
large OSS projects.  Just think about the other Apache projects, and
the success that they have had in the market (e.g.: the Hadoop family
of projects).  That's why it's so important to me that the community
continue to embrace the "Apache Way".  ;-)

-chip

> -Sebastien
>

> On Jan 23, 2013, at 1:35 AM, "Musayev, Ilya" <imusayev@webmd.net> wrote:
>
>> So would like to start by saying - I'm all for CS - I really like the community,
what it offers and simplicity.

>> With that in mind, I need help defending CloudStack vs OpenStack to my management
team.

>> Basically I was approached by management team saying they attended an executive meeting
and there is a much greater adoption/usage rate for openstack vs cloudstack. I don't want
to mention the numbers - but they are very significant. As a point of comparison, just go
to any job site (I used linkedin job search feature) and use look for number of current opening
for cloudstack and then openstack.