From Clayton Weise <cwe...@iswest.net>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] "Arming" cloudstack supporters in "stack war" bakeoffs....
Date Wed, 23 Jan 2013 20:09:42 GMT
Here's what I can say:

The company I work for is a regional ISP based in southern California.  We have two colocation
facilities that we own and operate that account for a little over 10,000 sq. ft. and wanted
to start offering IaaS services.  We looked at a number of different CMPs including Eucalyptus,
Enomaly/SpotCloud, Joyent, and OpenStack.  At the time OS was in its infancy and we lacked
sufficient development resources to really make good use of it.  And while it's come a long
way since then, its modular architecture (while powerful) means it takes more human resources
to tilt up a cloud (and to a certain extent, maintain it).

CloudStack, compared to the other platforms we evaluated, provided us with the most flexible
and desirable network configurations with the least amount of effort.  This is an important
point because OpenStack can absolutely duplicate the network configurations available through
CloudStack but it took quite a bit more work.  CloudStack was also more of an "out of box
experience" in the sense that it's all packaged together.  So while it is agnostic to hardware,
hypervisors, and the like, it was centralized in management and the installation was pretty
straight forward.

At the time the other platforms were either more difficult to work with, or required a professional
install where you handed the keys over to the vendor and they gave you back a running cloud
with little or no explanation on how to do it other than some server pixie dust.  CloudStack
though, like any CMP, has a learning curve and you will probably bang up against a wall.
We found the CloudStack community to be very welcoming and helpful (unlike some open source
projects which just bark at you to "google" and berate you for not knowing something).

For all of these reasons we decided that CloudStack.  It was the most mature, easy to use,
had the friendliest and best looking GUI (important for our customers), and a very powerful
API.  Also there was the promise of some EC2 compatibility which made migration of customers
over to our cloud that much easier since they wouldn't have to re-tool.