From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@citrix.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Getting CloudStack into the linux distros?
Date Tue, 15 Jan 2013 23:58:41 GMT
Moving discussion from: "Making life of an admin easier" (refer:http://markmail.org/message/tkc5ct6ebh4sdghi)
Future
=====

Online pluggable service: (Hugo, Alex and I talked about this during ccc12, we can do it in
future maybe, but at least we should start packaging them separately)

As part of packaging, all plugins be bundled as separate debs/rpms, the core system (cloudstack-server)
can depend on few ought-to have plugins.
The plugins get installed in a specific directory, say /usr/share/java/cloudstack/plugins.
This directory is within class path of the server process.

If an admin trusts a plugin, he installs/place the jar in this directory, changes ACL either
in /etc/cloud/commands.properties or depending upon the choice of APIChecker plugin and calls
the an API to tell mgmt server to load the plugin. It would be tricky and some plugins may
require restart.

Regards.

some interest there to get CloudStack packages.

> With the "new" way of packaging we have an intermediate step between compiling, building
our code and packaging it. In doing this we could leave packaging to other parties completely.
They could work in two ways, take our source and do everything including the maven compile,
or take a "compiled" tarball and use that as the base for a package.