From "Musayev, Ilya" <imusa...@webmd.net>
Subject RE: Functional Specification for Full clone support for CS VMWare deployments
Date Tue, 22 Jan 2013 20:01:16 GMT
Hari

I would like to comment on two open questions:

   - If a VM is created as a linked clone, there is no need to make it non-linked clone afterwards
(or vice-versa)

   - similarly, if upgrading from 4.0 to 4.1, VMs created in 4.0 (linked clones) dont need
to be allowed to become non-linked clones

We can convert the existing link clone to full clone - by full cloning the VM. Why would not
you want that ability? I actually would very much prefer that option - as I have to guarantee
disk reliability of that VM.
The way I envision this, if the host needs to be promoted to a production, to add an extra
layer of safety on disk level - would prefer that ability. Conceptually, to achieve this we
can use vmware APIs to migrate and instead of migrating - just making it thin/thick. Just
like you can do so in VmWare now. Alternatively, we can initate a shutdown command and do
the same task in cold state.

Thoughts?

Thanks
ilya