From "Musayev, Ilya" <imusa...@webmd.net>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] Hosting CS System Offerings using Oralce/Sun Java VS OpenJDK
Date Tue, 08 Jan 2013 19:51:32 GMT
Alex,

It's a bit more complex, here is why:

1) The build process for CentOS - uses system specific commands that are only available in
RedHat like system (i.e. yum and others).
2) The build process for Debian - has its own system specific commands like apt-get, debootstrap
and others.

In order to build the system offering - you CS management server will be either CentOS/Debian
which means you will be successful at only building one type of system offering - by default.

For users who would like to run a mix - they will have to follow a process and create a needed
OS first and run the build script to generate their own system offering. It adds complexity
and at least 20 minutes per offering type for the build.

If you need to build all 3 types for vmware, xen and kvm - you are looking at 40 minutes to
an hour.

It is much easier to distribute the bundled version.

For those folks who are willing to build their own versions - that's an option as well. The
script I'm writing - would let you do that.

Needless to say - the build process currently requires the use of the 32 bit OS (to create
the 32 bit system offering) - but we can change the logic and make it work on 64 bit if needed
(and build a 32 bit OS).

We can also go this route - its open for discussion.

Regards
ilya