From "Musayev, Ilya" <imusa...@webmd.net>
Subject [DISCUSS] Hosting CS System Offerings using Oralce/Sun Java VS OpenJDK
Date Tue, 08 Jan 2013 19:05:18 GMT
As per my conversation with Chip, it is my understanding that we should not be distributing
anything other than source code via Apache SF.

System Offering templates are bundled with GPL (and non GPL) licensed software (and binaries)
- with that in mind - we may not be ASF compliant.

Regardless of what we pick for newer System Offering templates - be it Oracle Java or OpenJDK,
I propose to host the new System Offering images on SourceForge.net (or elsewhere we choose)
as well as Citrix S3 account (if they choose to sponsor it).

I'm forever thankful to Citrix for sponsoring CS, but we should look into becoming more independent.

If we move to sf.net, we can leverage their worldwide mirror distribution network and help
alleviate Citrix S3 expense for bandwidth costs.

As always - your feedback is appreciated.

Thanks
-ilya

From: Musayev, Ilya
Sent: Tuesday, January 08, 2013 12:57 PM
To: cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: CS System Offerings using Oralce/Sun Java VS OpenJDK

While working on CentOS version of System Offering Templates, I used this script as a point
of reference https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-cloudstack.git;a=blob;f=patches/systemvm/debian/buildsystemvm.sh;hb=6e739412

I'm about 60% complete and now on the stage of resolving all packages that are required.

I also see that we use sun-java-6 in current Ubuntu Squeeze System Offerings.

Should we continue using Oracle/Sun Java or should we migrate to a more GNU friendly version
of OpenJDK?

I know my work (and others) will be greatly simplified if we go with Sun Java - as QA will
be minimal, nevertheless, Oracle has been working hard at tightening their licensing of Java
- please read this Wikipedia page for more details - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_(software_platform)#Licensing

I propose two solutions:

1)      Proceed with CentOS System VM offering using sun java 6

a.       Minimal QA and all binaries should work as expected

b.      Migrate to OpenJDK after the QA/fixes has been done

c.       Should be minimal or no issues with java library compatibilities

2)      Attempt to transition CentOS System Offering to OpenJDK

a.       Uncertain of where it puts us with stability/compatibility and bug fixes - if any

Obviously I would prefer option 1 - but it may not be the right thing todo in the long run.

Thoughts?

-ilya