From "Musayev, Ilya" <imusa...@webmd.net>
Subject CS System Offerings using Oralce/Sun Java VS OpenJDK
Date Tue, 08 Jan 2013 17:58:02 GMT
While working on CentOS version of System Offering Templates, I used this script as a point
of reference https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-cloudstack.git;a=blob;f=patches/systemvm/debian/buildsystemvm.sh;hb=6e739412

I'm about 60% complete and now on the stage of resolving all packages that are required.

I also see that we use sun-java-6 in current Ubuntu Squeeze System Offerings.

Should we continue using Oracle/Sun Java or should we migrate to a more GNU friendly version
of OpenJDK?

I know my work (and others) will be greatly simplified if we go with Sun Java - as QA will
be minimal, nevertheless, Oracle has been working hard at tightening their licensing of Java
- please read this Wikipedia page for more details - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_(software_platform)#Licensing

I propose two solutions:

1)      Proceed with CentOS System VM offering using sun java 6

a.       Minimal QA and all binaries should work as expected

b.      Migrate to OpenJDK after the QA/fixes has been done

c.       Should be minimal or no issues with java library compatibilities

2)      Attempt to transition CentOS System Offering to OpenJDK

a.       Uncertain of where it puts us with stability/compatibility and bug fixes - if any

Obviously I would prefer option 1 - but it may not be the right thing todo in the long run.

Thoughts?

-ilya