From Noa Resare <...@spotify.com>
Subject deb package name and the split in subpackages
Date Fri, 11 Jan 2013 15:05:29 GMT
(This email is probably mostly for Wido and possibly Hugo but I'm sending
it to the list to get a bit more transparency)

Looking at the packaging branch(1) I think the work to reduce the number of
subpackages is a very good initiative. The current setup for 4.0 with lots
of packages with somewhat counterintuitive naming adds complexity both to
the build process and to users of the package.

The current state of the packaging branch contains subpackages -server,
-scripts, -setup, -python, -agent, -system-iso and -usage.

I think that packages should be as few as possible but that we should avoid
payload duplication. In practice that would translate to one package per
server use case (in my case, agent and server) and have shared artifacts in
a common package.

If we are doing any change where subpackages will be obsoleted we would
need to follow the http://wiki.debian.org/Renaming_a_Package guidelines
(which means creating an empty last version of the old package depending in
the new package to get the upgrade path properly) and if we are doing that
for any package we might as well do it for everything and bite bullet with
the cloud -> cloudstack renaming.

So, my proposal: three new packages:

- cloudstack-server (containing everything specific to the server)
- cloudstack-agent (containing everything specific to the agent)
- cloudstack-common (containing the things needed by both)

and a separate source package emitting new empty versions of all current
packages that could be added once to the repo referenced on
http://incubator.apache.org/cloudstack/downloads.html

/noa

1) https://github.com/noaresare/incubator-cloudstack/commits/packaging

--
Engineering Experience, Infrastructure tribe, Spotify