From Marcus Sorensen <shadow...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Question about Disk Offerings
Date Wed, 30 Jan 2013 00:57:06 GMT
You can apply storage tag to both compute offering and disk offering.

Root volumes are created from a template, and are only created when a
VM is created. They are put on the storage based on the tag the
compute offering has.  In other words, when you create a new VM, it
looks at the storage tag of the compute offering and copies your VM's
template there, creating a 'root disk'.

Extra volumes can be attached to your VM, and they are created via the
disk offering.  This model is efficient in cloud because it allows
templates to be small, deployed and backed up quickly, and then extra
disks are used for large file storage. Those extra disks can also be
detached and moved around between VMs. Of course, if someone is used
to the traditional way there's nothing to stop them from creating a
100G template and just having a root disk.

At any rate, create a compute offering with your desired storage tag,
and create a VM referencing that compute offering. It should be
deployed on the storage you wanted.