From Marcus Sorensen <shadow...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Review Request: API commands to add or remove NIC from a VM
Date Mon, 21 Jan 2013 21:02:42 GMT
On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 12:30 AM, Hari Kannan <hari.kannan@citrix.com>wrote:

I think you're right on #1, that if you create a VM via API you can add
multiple nics to the same network so long as you're not using a VPC. I
don't know for sure off the top of my head though

> 2. Earlier, Marcus had stated that " It doesn't strictly require a reboot,
> but it does require that you apply a network config. The nic will hot plug
> but you either have to reboot or manually trigger a dhcp query " - wish to
> reconfirm this to be the case - also, can you please provide a short note
> on how to do this, so we can add it to the documentation?

We could give some basic examples, but it's largely going to come down to
specific OS, for example with linux, it could change by distribution based
on the udev rules, the config file locations, dhcp client differences, etc.
It would be up to the admin of the VM guest to know how to set up a network
card on their guest OS.

> 3. Can you please confirm this is possible for any OS (windows/Linux)?

Worst case is that the OS doesn't recognize the new NIC without a reboot.
So either you make them power the VM off always before adding a NIC, or let
them try to add the NIC and they can reboot if the OS doesn't support it.

> 4. is there any UI component developed for this?

No, I think there is a team who specializes in this. I was thinking the
other day that the UI will likely always lag behind the API in features,
because new features won't get time to be implemented in UI on each release.