From David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Subject Re: FS for host updates notifications
Date Mon, 07 Jan 2013 19:32:06 GMT
On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 2:21 PM, Chip Childers <chip.childers@sungard.com> wrote:
> Bumping this thread.
>
> In reviewing CLOUDSTACK-192, I don't believe that we have reached
> consensus on this feature being part of CloudStack.  Ram noted in the
> ticket that the conversation would be revived.  Do we want to do that?
>
> If not, I'm going to close CLOUDSTACK-192 as not applicable, move the
> functional spec to the uncommitted design page, and note that it
> wasn't accepted for now.
>
> If it was, I believe that Citrix released this feature in
> CloudPlatform.  If that is the case, we will have to bring in the code
> via the IP Clearance process.
>
> Does someone want to try to drive this to consensus?

As I understand it the proposed plan is to check a URL that the
project doesn't control, and based on the contents of that URL advise
users, regardless of version of CloudStack that they have deployed
that there is an update to to their hypervisor and the unwritten part
of this implies that the user should apply said update, and that we
essentially are condoning it, despite the fact that we have done no
testing. CloudStack is in a weird position in that it orchestrates
lots of moving pieces. Blindly encouraging folks to update scares the
sysadmin in me, yes we might avoid some problems, but if you look at
some of the things we might have 'encouraged' upgrades for across all
of the hypervisors, letting a third party tell us "it's ok" should
scare you as well.

--David