From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [MERGE][ACS41] javelin to master
Date Tue, 29 Jan 2013 06:49:38 GMT
On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 12:54 AM, Sheng Liang <Sheng.Liang@citrix.com>wrote:

> > At the same time we are really close to freeze, this potentially blocks
> the work of others; and while it should be mostly innocuous, it is still a
> large amount of disruption, for what appears to me to be > precious little
> benefit for the project or the 4.1 release.
>
> > So why are we pushing so hard to get this done by freeze?
>
> We are pushing so hard to get this done for 4.1 release because the
> developers who built it are passionate about their work and we are well
> within the deadline of checking in new features. Passion of developers is
> what keeps the project alive.

As a disclaimer I absolutely abhor Spring. I think it's a big turd and
should be whipped off the face of the earth. I was sad to see Spring make
it in over OSGi.

HOWEVER ...

Sheng has a great point about developer passion. It's not always about the
features and about utility. The passion is indeed what keeps the project
alive. MIght want to stop and rethink this.

<back-to-spring-hater-mode/>

Again I hate Spring! Yuck!

> I personally think this check-in has huge benefit. It lays the foundation
> for cleaner componentization (which is huge for CloudStack) and the new
> storage architecture. In any case "lack of benefit" does not seem like a
> technical reason to prevent a check-in. It would benefit a fledging project
> like CloudStack to be inclusive.

+1

> The potential disruption is a valid concern. And that's why we need to
> complete this check-in before deadline so we have time to stabilize the
> code base prior to the 4.1 release.

Or just extend the deadline and relax.

> It is also true CloudStack does not have a good automated regression test
> suite to make sure a check-in like this does not break some other features
> in CloudStack. But lack of a thorough automated regression suite a problem
> with CloudStack in general. We've let in other big changes in this release.
> I know developers who wrote this check-in have thoroughly regression tested
> to the best of their abilities.

This is  a point I tried to make to a few folks before CloudStack came
here. If you want to provide a smooth path to committership you need a
solid regression testing framework (with near total coverage) and an
environment. Feeling blind and vulnerable to big changes like this limits
trust and we can't have a lack of trust. If you want this project growing
faster and healthier regression testing is key: it has a social impact.

--
Best Regards,
-- Alex