From Mike Tutkowski <mike.tutkow...@solidfire.com>
Subject CloudStack Storage Question
Date Thu, 10 Jan 2013 22:21:31 GMT
Hi everyone,

I'm new to CloudStack and am trying to understand how it works with regards
to storage exposed to hypervisors.

For example:

My company, SolidFire, has a feature that exists at the virtual-volume (for
us, equivalent to a LUN) layer:  Hard Quality of Service.  So, for each
volume in one of our clusters, you can specify a minimum and maximum number
of IOPS (beneficial to Cloud Service Providers who want to write hard SLAs
around performance).

We have a potential customer who is using CloudStack currently with another
vendor (via NFS shares).  They asked me today how a hypervisor run under
CloudStack would see the iSCSI storage exposed to them in one of our
volumes.  More specifically, can the hypervisor see a volume per VM or is
the hypervisor forced to create all of its VMs off of the same volume?  If
the hypervisor is forced to create all of its VMs off of the same volume,
then this would significantly reduce the value of our hard quality of
service offering since all of these VMs would have to run at the same
performance SLA.

Can anyone help me better understand how this would work?

Thanks so much!!

--
*Mike Tutkowski*
e: mike.tutkowski@solidfire.com