From Chip Childers <chip.child...@sungard.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Getting CloudStack into the linux distros?
Date Wed, 16 Jan 2013 15:24:36 GMT
On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 10:20 AM, Mark Hinkle <Mark.Hinkle@citrix.com> wrote:
> +1
>
> I think this is probably one of the most important things we can do to make it easy for
users to install and important for us to help distribution (no pun intended) of CloudStack.

> Wido's concern about time to bundle is important but if we get into the distros we get
much wider distribution and I think we'll get many more interested users and some portion
fo them will work on packaging and IMHO we'll net more development resources above and beyond
 work needed to packaging. Also as CloudStack gets more popular we'll see more people whose
security policies will forbid the use of the community run repos.

> It's a huge PIA to do and the guidelines for each distribution are usually a one-off
but I think it's critical for widespread adoption.

> Mark
>

> On Jan 10, 2013, at 9:07 AM, Chip Childers <chip.childers@sungard.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Since packaging is a theme yet again (and we seem to be headed in a
>> direction that is useful for a distro packager), I wanted to raise the
>> idea of trying to work with various Linux distros to get CloudStack
>> into their official package repos.  I see the 4.1.0 release as being
>> the ideal release
>>
>> I know that we have had various packagers represented on this list on
>> and off, and I suspect that there are quite a few lurkers hanging
>> around.
>>
>> My question to the community is: does it make sense for the Apache
>> CloudStack community to reach out to various linux disto communities
>> and see if they would be willing to include the software (as well as
>> offer packaging help if needed)?
>>
>> My questions to folks that might be on this list representing
>> different distros: Are you interested?  If so, how can we work with
>> your community most effectively?  Last, CloudStack is obviously still
>> a podling (and our release numbers still reflect "-incubating").  Is
>> our graduation a prerequisite in your opinion?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> -chip

Does anyone in the community want to drive an initiative like this?
This might be a great way for someone new to help out on the project,
and get lots of kudos for the work. ;-)