From Chip Childers <chip.child...@sungard.com>
Subject Re: [ACS41] Concerns about where development has happened
Date Fri, 11 Jan 2013 22:43:05 GMT
On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 5:19 PM, Animesh Chaturvedi
<animesh.chaturvedi@citrix.com> wrote:
> As suggested by community Citrix will go through IP clearance process. I am updating
identified defects with more contextual  information and will summarize in this thread once
I am done. The list is longer than originally identified. This is obviously an important lesson
and hopefully we  will not run into similar situation in future.

> I also wanted to get clarification on what does community consider significant contribution
with respect to IP clearance? Is 300-400 lines of code that has gone through community discussion
but submitted in 1-2 commits considered significant?

"Substantial" is the term used by the process documentation.  I
pointedly asked one of our mentors for advice on defining
"substantial", and the response was basically "it's complicated" and
"consider the cases individually".

I would suggest that we follow that advice.  We discuss each
contribution, individually, to understand what the community consensus
on each one is.  If we decide that we want to accept a contribution,
and further decide that we want to take it through the IP clearance
process, we should continue with each contribution being handled
separately.

In order to be specific in each discuss thread, we need to ensure that
we have a public location where the proposed contribution is available
for review.

I also believe that a VOTE within the community will be required for
each (after the DISCUSS or PROPOSE thread proposing the contribution
initially), before taking the process to the IPMC.  My reason for
that, is that I believe we need to begin to *act like* a responsible
TLP, even though we are still a podling.

-chip

> I have looked over the Apache guidelines and markmail archive on IP clearance process
 but still  looking forward to guidance/help on IP clearance logistics from folks who have
that experience.