From Chip Childers <chip.child...@sungard.com>
Subject Re: [ACS41] Actions Required: Getting organized for 4.1.0
Date Thu, 03 Jan 2013 14:38:52 GMT
On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 1:08 AM, Mike Tutkowski
<mike.tutkowski@solidfire.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I was wondering if we have a roadmap?  I'm curious to know if a feature
> doesn't make it into this release when the following release is expected to
> come out (as a best case for thinking ahead to when features that don't go
> into 4.1.0 might make it into a production CloudStack release).
>
> Thanks!
> Mike

Mike,

We have a schedule, but no roadmap yet.  The schedule is a rolling
release cycle (time-based, not feature driven), with 4.1.0 being code
freeze at the end of January followed by 2 months of testing / release
voting.  After 4.1, we will get into a consistent schedule:  2 months
of feature merging into master, followed by 2 months of testing /
release voting.  So we plan on feature releases every 4 months.  Bug
fix releases are out of cycle (in between the feature releases) as
needed.

A big point I'll make though...  feature development should be
ongoing.  The release cycle is there to provide a means of getting
features delivered via a release, while development could take longer
or shorter.  It just depends on when it's done enough to land in
master.

As for the roadmap...  I think we need to figure out how to do this as
a community.  We just haven't done that yet.

-chip