From Chip Childers <chip.child...@sungard.com>
Subject Re: NetScaler lib/sdk jars are apache licensed
Date Wed, 02 Jan 2013 15:52:46 GMT
On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 4:39 AM, Hugo Trippaers
<HTrippaers@schubergphilis.com> wrote:
> Hey Vijay,
>
> Great news!
>
> Comments inline.

developers should not be required to install the appliance and download the jar before being
able to compile the code (I'm assuming here we are moving the netscaler code to the main build).

+1 to at least providing the source code publicly.  It will be very
important for distribution packagers to be able to get the source for
this dependency, since they will probably want to package it
themselves.

> Internet downloadable is great, but publishing it in a maven repo (or even on central)
would be completely awesome. This would mean that we can move the netscaler stuff to the main
build and nobody would have to worry about obtaining the jar file and running obscure commands
to get the jar into the repo. This would also make version management easier as new versions
would be published in the repo and we can just update the version number in the pom.xml.

> I realize that this would put some extra strain on whoever is making the netscaler jar
files, but it would be great (so great I will happily buy anyone that makes this happen a
beer ;-) )

Also +1 to publishing to a maven repo!

>> 2.       How to get the integration done, any instructions?
>
> Edit the pom files to remove the dependency on the nonoss flag from any components that
depend on the netscaler.jar. This only works if maven can find the jar in some repository.

I'd suggest that having a public location for the source code and / or
the jar file (via a repo) is a requirement for us to shift netscaler
support from being part of the non-oss to being part of the oss build.
 If someone doesn't have a netscaler, they still need to be able to
compile the oss version of CloudStack without errors.

>> Thanks,
>> Vijay V.
>

> I'll be happy to help with setting up a repo, dealing with central or make modifications
to the pom.xml. Let me know what I can help with.