From Chip Childers <chip.child...@sungard.com>
Subject Re: Adding LXC support to Cloudstack
Date Mon, 07 Jan 2013 21:23:22 GMT
On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 4:15 PM, Alex Karasulu <akarasulu@apache.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 11:13 PM, Alex Karasulu <akarasulu@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi Phong,
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 10:02 PM, Phong Nguyen <pnguyen@gilt.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> We are interested in adding LXC support to Cloudstack.
>>

>> I've also been interested in Cloudstack support for LXC. I checked a few
>> days ago for it and was disappointed when I could not find it but found
>> support for it in OpenStack instead :P. I wanted to inquire about adding
>> LXC support thinking this might be a good starting point for my getting
>> involved in the code. At this point, I have nothing further to contribute
>> besides the link you already found, but I thought if others saw more people
>> interested then LXC support might be considered.
>>

> Here's a bit more chatter on this topic but as we see it's not been
> implemented. Rip for the picking ...
>
> http://goo.gl/x60At

I'll echo what Kevin said on that thread.  If you're interested in
building it, I'm interested in having it!

We're still learning how to do our feature proposal process as a
community, but generally we are following the process here:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Adding+new+features+and+design+documents

If we have a consensus around adding support for LXC, then the next
step would be to propose it via a functional spec.  Purely from a
release planning point of view, I'd suggest that you add the spec as a
child page of our "uncommitted" design page:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Design+Documents+Not+Committed+to+a+Release

Also one other thing to note: the community has two major refactoring
merge activities that we expect to happen this week / early next week
(first, the api_refactoring branch, then the javelin branch). You
should be aware of this, but I doubt it would impact the design much.

If either of you decide to take this on (and perhaps collaboration
would be in order), please do share your thoughts, questions, concerns
with the list!  We're happy to help with the architecture and our
community processes.

-chip