From Chip Childers <chip.child...@sungard.com>
Subject [ACS41] Concerns about where development has happened
Date Wed, 09 Jan 2013 15:06:52 GMT
Hi all,

In reviewing the feature proposals for 4.1.0, David and I have found
many problems that indicate that development has happened outside of
the community.  While I can't be sure that we've found all of the
issues, it's certainly problematic to see this many.

Please review and let me know if I'm misinterpreting the state of things.

I'm not sure where to go from here.  I guess we have 2 options: we
re-write the code from scratch as CloudStack code, or Citrix donates
the code produced for CloudPlatform (and it gets taken through the IP
clearance process).

The following features are potentially issues:

CLOUDSTACK-297
This is in the CloudPlatform 3.0.6 release
Discussion occurred in October
I don't believe that the code is in the ASF repo

CLOUDSTACK-299
This is in the CloudPlatform 3.0.6 release
The UI code appears to be in our repo, but the backend does not.
Example, grep for: createEgressFirewallRule

CLOUDSTACK-306 (CLOUDSTACK-775 is a duplicate)
This is in the CloudPlatform 3.0.6 release
Commits went into master on Jan 4 (there are 3 commits)
Discussion happened in October

CLOUDSTACK-737
This is in the CloudPlatform 3.0.6 release
UI work completed (CLOUDSTACK-537) in the asf repo, starting in november
I can't find any commits for the backend work in our repo
The requirements wiki page and jira record were created on Jan 3
Dev list discussion started in November, but there were outstanding
questions that were not addressed in that thread.  Unsure if consensus
was achieved.

CLOUDSTACK-774
Frank identified that this was a "Byron feature" and that all "Byron
features should be merged to ASF repo", but I'm unable to find in the
CloudPlatform release notes
Unable to find dev list discussion

CLOUDSTACK-777
This is in the CloudPlatform 3.0.6 release
Docs already submitted, but no FS available.
Unable to find dev list discussion

CLOUDSTACK-778
This is in the CloudPlatform 3.0.6 release
Docs are done, but feature doesn't exist in CloudStack
Unable to find dev list discussion

Also, generally all documentation originally created for CloudPlatform
3.0.6 features, but not created in the CloudStack git repo or
submitted prior to publication will need to go through IP clearance.

Also: CLOUDSTACK-873 is not proposed for 4.1.0, but appears to be in
CloudPlatform 3.0.6.  I may be misinterpreting this, but it appears to
be something that will need to go through IP clearance.

-chip