From Edison Su <Edison...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: new storage framework update
Date Mon, 14 Jan 2013 23:18:55 GMT

I think if the nfs secondary storage is optional, then all the inefficient related to object
storage will get away?

> system.  These two issues make implementation of efficient  storage drivers
> extremely difficult.  For example, for object stores, we have to create polling
> synchronization threads that add complexity, overhead, and latency to the
> system.  If we could connect the OutputStream of a source (such as an HTTP
> upload) to the InputStream of the object store, transfer operations would be
> far simpler and efficient.  The conflation of logical and physical operations
> also increases difficulty and complexity to reliably and maintainably
> implement cross-cutting storage features such as at-rest encryption.  In my
> opinion, the current design in Javelin makes progress on the first point, but
> does not address the second point.  Therefore, I propose that we refine the
> design to explicitly separate logical and physical operations and utilize the
> higher level I/O abstractions provided by the JDK to remove any interface
> requirements for a file-based operations.
>
> Based on these goals, I propose keeping the logical Image, ImageMotion,
> Volume, Template, and Snapshot services.  These services would be
> responsible for logical storage operations (.e.g createVolumeFromTemplate,
> downloadTemplate, createSnapshot, deleteSnapshot, etc).  To perform
> physical operations,  the StorageDevice concept would be added with the
> following operations:
>
> * void read(URI aURI, OutputStream anOutputStream) throws IOException
> * void write(URI aURI, InputStream anInputStream)  throws IOException
> * Set<URI> list(URI aURI)  throws IOException
> * boolean delete(URI aURI) throws IOException
> * StorageDeviceType getType()

I agree with your simplified interface, but still cautious about the simple URI may not enough.
For example, at the driver level, what about driver developer wants to know extra information
about the object being operated?
I ended up with new APIs like: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/download/attachments/30741569/provider.jpg?version=1&modificationDate=1358168083079
 At the driver level, it works on two interfaces:
 DataObject, which is the interface of volume/snapshot/template.
DataStore, which is the interface of all the primary storage or image storage.
The API is pretty much looks like you proposed:
grantAccess(DataObject, EndPoint ep): make the object accessible for an endpoint, and return
an URI represent the object. This is used during moving the object around different storages.
 For example, in the sequence diagram, create volume from template: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/download/attachments/30741569/createvolumeFromtemplate.png?version=1&modificationDate=1358172931767,
datamotionstrategy will call grantaccess on both source and destination datastore, then got
two URIs represent the source and destination object, then send the URIs to endpoint(it can
be the agent running side ssvm, or it can be a hypervisor host) to conduct the actual copy
operation.
Revokeaccess: the opposite of above API.
listObjects(DataStore), list objects on datastore
createAsync(DataObject): create an object on datastore, the driver shouldn't care about what's
the object it is, but should only care about the size of the object, the data store of the
object, all of these information can be directly inferred from DataObject. If the driver needs