From Bharat Kumar <bharat.ku...@citrix.com>
Subject Re: [Discuss] Support for multiple ip ranges.
Date Sat, 19 Jan 2013 11:08:02 GMT
Hi Sanjeev,
find my comments inline.

On Jan 17, 2013, at 4:31 PM, Sanjeev Neelarapu <sanjeev.neelarapu@citrix.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have reviews Multiple IP Ranges FS available @ https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Multiple+Ip+ranges+FS
and below are my review comments:

> 1.Is there any limit on no.of subnets/IP ranges that can be added for guest?(since a
new nic is added on router vm for every different subnet)
    There is a limit on the number of nics a VM can have depending on the hypervisor. So if
we go ahead with the present  idea there will be a limit on the number of subnets. I also
came to know alternative method, we can add multiple ips to the same nic of a VM. I still
need to see if there are any downsides  to this.

> 2.Do we support adding multiple subnets in the same vlan incase of Shared guest network
in Advanced zone?
   I think this can be done as an enhancement once we are done with the basic implementation.

> 3.Can we shrink the existing IP ranges(Guest/Management)?
      Shrinking an ip range is possible as long as none of the ips which are being removed
due to shrinkage are in use. We still need to discuss if this functionality is required.

> 4.Can we add non-contiguos guest ip ranges for Basic zone?
     yes.

> 5.Do we support tagged IP Network for management traffic?
   I don't  understand this question can you please elaborate it.

> 6.Is not-contiguous management IP ranges supported?
   yes.

> 7. Is this supported in upgraded environment?
The upgrade will not modify the existing ip ranges. we can just add new ip ranges after the
upgrade.

> Thanks,
> Sanjeev

flexibility  for management  and guest ip ranges.

> Motivation: There may be cases where some part of the subnet is allocated for some other
purpose and the admin wants to use the rest of the ip range or admin may want to add more
ip address  once the old ones are exhausted. Admin may want to  add the ip ranges form the
same subnet or from different one. Currently in cloudstack there is no flexibility to do this
for management and guest ip ranges (ip ranges from different subnets).

> This feature allows adding multiple management ip ranges in advanced and basic zones,
 and guest ip ranges in  basic zones.