From Bharat Kumar <bharat.ku...@citrix.com>
Subject Re: [Discuss] Cpu and Ram overcommit.
Date Tue, 22 Jan 2013 05:45:02 GMT
Hi Prashant,

My comments in line.

On Jan 22, 2013, at 12:02 AM, Prashant Kumar Mishra <prashantkumar.mishra@citrix.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have reviewed  Cpu and Ram overcommit  and below are my review comments:
>
> 1-In case admin set overcommit ratio very low which may cause underutilization, will
CS suggest admin to set overcommit ratio to some fine-tuned value  base on previous  record.
Cs will not suggest any overcommit ratios to the admin, It is left to the admin to decide
the values of overcommit ratios.

> 2-If admin want to set all the cluster to a common overcommit factor , are we going to
provide any global parameter for that
> Use case:
> Say there is n cluster , and they all are qualifying  admin requirement of having overcommit
ratio say 1.5x ( of course there can be some cluster say 2% of n , supports overcommit factor
>1.5x, but to utilize these 2 % of cluster admin have to go one by one which is not very
likely to happen ) instead of going to update one by one admin would like to set all in one
go.
No there is no way to specify the overcommit values for all the clusters globally, In fact
we are actually making the overcommit configuration more granular.

> 3-To add host which strategy is going to be in use
> A.) Don't allow adding a host which has no capability of overcommitting resources to
a cluster.
> B.) Add the host but do not consider it for vm allocation until it is updated. if we
are changing a non-overcommit cluster to a overcommit cluster and if it has incapable hosts,
we will allow them to be a part of the cluster but disable further allocation of VMs to these
hosts until they are upgraded to have the overcommit capability
I think we should go with A i.e. don't allow a host without overcommit capability to join
a cluster with overcommit. Similarly  to change the overcommit value ( to > 1)of a cluster
previously not overcommitting, all the hosts in the cluster should be capable of overcommiting.

> 4-How we are calculating  fine tune overcommit factor , is it based on previous records.
We don't calculate the overcommit values these are set by the admin.

> 5- How we are handling hypervisor  Memory  exhaustion .
If you mean what will happen at the time of contention for resources, all the VMs at the time
of contention will be using the minimum amount of memory guaranteed to it in case of xenserver.
The overcommit values should be set carefully after taking the scenario of contention into
account.

> 6-while deploying  vms how we are going to make sure that it will go  to a specific cluster
, are we going to use cluster level tag, Or we are going to use dedicated resource method
as described in FS.

I think we will use dedicated resources for now and may be in future implement something like
cluster tags.

> Thanks
> Prashant kumar Mishra

we have sufficient  information  to start the implementation.

VMs anymore.  You can provide a warning.

>> - As for repeated alerts, that's a problem with the alert mechanism.  It should not
repeat alerts.  Fix it there.

>> On implementation:
>> - You need to add something more generic such as a cluster-details to cluster that
allows you retrieve what you want to add to it.  I don't see any reason to keep adding columns
to cluster/pods.  Cluster/pods are organization units.  We should add a details table (might
already there) to keep component details because no one else will use this detail information.
 I don't see why we need to add database columns for this.
>> - How are you planning to handle hypervisors that cannot overcommit cpu or ram?
To me this needs capabilities added to the hypervisor caps table.
>> - This is a planner specific change.  Make sure the changes are localized in the
planner.  If there's anything you need to change in CloudStack core/server, please point that
out in a subtask for your bug and let me know.