From Frank Zhang <Frank.Zh...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: [PROPOSAL] Integrate Cisco UCS with CloudStack
Date Fri, 04 Jan 2013 00:03:03 GMT
> On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 2:06 PM, Frank Zhang <Frank.Zhang@citrix.com> wrote:
> > Hi community:
> >         I'd like to propose a proposal for integrating Cisco
> > UCS(unified computing system) with CloudStack. UCS  unifies computing,
> > networking, management, virtualization, and storage access into a
> > single integrated architecture. This unique architecture enables end-to-end
> server visibility, management, and control in both bare metal and virtual
> environments, and facilitates the move to cloud computing and IT-as-a-
> Service with Fabric-Based Infrastructure. You can find detailed information
> about UCS at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10265/index.html.
> >
> >         The first phase is to integrate UCS with CloudStack baremetal,
> > here is a proposed workflow to enable this.  Let us define "administrator"
> as the person responsible for the overall cloud service, including the physical
> infrastructure.  Similarly the "user" is the end user that seeks to create VMs.
> >
> > 1.      Using the CloudStack UI, the administrator adds a "Managed Host
> Manager" of type UCS.  The admin provides API endpoint and credentials.
> >         This gives CloudStack programmatic access to UCS Manager and an
> identity with authorization to implement the following functions.
> > 2.      Administrator creates a "UCS Resource Pool" per Service Profile
> Template that he wants to use
> > 3.      Administrator creates a Baremetal Cluster
> > 4.      Administrator chooses the required UCS Resource pool (that matches
> his Service Profile requirement for a cluster),
> >         selects an available blade, selects a Baremetal template and adds the
> blade to the Baremetal cluster
> > 5.      Repeat Step 4 above to add more hosts in the cluster
> > 6.      Now user is able to start vm on baremetal host using CloudStack
> baremetal provisioning
> >
> >         At first stage, I would like to limit the effort to CloudStack
> > basic zone, however, we will seek to support advanced zone by leveraging
> UCS's  vlan programming feature. There is a high level PRD for full features of
> UCS-baremetal integration.
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Enhanced+Bare
> metal+support+on+Cisco+UCS
> >         and JIRA ticket is here
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-723
> >
> >         please free feel to share your thoughts, thank you!
> >

> Hey Frank,
>
> Question about this implementation...  you had mentioned last summer [1]
> that you were thinking about redoing how standard bare metal provisioning
> works.  Is it worth getting that sorted out first, and then enhancing it to
> support UCS?
>
> -chip

Hi Chip:
	Thanks for reply. Yes I did propose a proposal couple of months ago,
at that time the community process was not normalized and I didn't get much
respond to that. I have done some investigation and would like to repost
some proposal shortly.
	However, the UCS integration is actually separate from CloudStack baremetal.
It's about how to make UCS cooperate with CloudStack, and baremetal could be the
first consumer of this feature.