From Sudha Ponnaganti <sudha.ponnaga...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: [ACS41][QA] New Features Vs Improvements
Date Fri, 04 Jan 2013 18:19:50 GMT
Sure Chip! Will create task under feature for functional testing. However a master test plan
will be posted under QA section.   https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/CloudStack+4.1+Release

-----Original Message-----
From: Chip Childers [mailto:chip.childers@sungard.com]
Sent: Friday, January 04, 2013 9:09 AM
To: cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [ACS41][QA] New Features Vs Improvements

On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 10:30 AM, Sudha Ponnaganti <sudha.ponnaganti@citrix.com> wrote:
> Thanks Chip for the explanation and subsequent action!
>
> Feature Assignees,
>
> As some of the features are too big, I would think it is impossible to complete by Jan
30th deadline.

I'm very concerned about this as well.

> -For that reason, ensure that features are done in logical chunks,

+1 - Also, if you are a committer, then you really MUST use a feature
branch in the apache.org repo to stage your work.  If you are not a committer, then your patches
need to come through reviewboard in logical / well tested chunks.

> -Also make sure that feature can be reverted if it breaks existing features or doesn't
comply with ASF guidelines or other reasons it cannot be part of release.

+1 - Some of the process points I made above will help with this, but
we need to remain very focused on this concern.

> -Also make sure to update status of JIRA ticket for new features / subtasks/ improvements
so others would know the status.

+1 - Weekly updates are going to be expected.  See the schedule here:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/CloudStack+4.1+Release

Also, Sudha - Does it make sense to include a sub-task for functional testing under each new
feature?  This would be similar to the doc tasks that are being created, and would allow us
to (1) see who is the assignee for functionally testing a feature and (2) easily track progress
of testing as part of ensuring feature completeness.  It may also help solve our issue of
where to track test execution status...
we could create top-level tasks for tests that aren't feature specific
(i.e.: regression tests).  I've used Jira to track test execution in the past, and it works
reasonably well.  The benefit is that we have a single system with which to assess the release
status (and each feature's status).

This might not work for us, but it's a proposal...

> Thanks
> /Sudha

that new features are tagged correctly as new features...  and that smaller changes and /
or internal improvements are classified as such improvements.